Fall is the ideal time of year to have a new roof installed. Following summer storms and before the cold of winter, weather and temperatures are perfect for roof installation - to get your house ready for frigid winter weather. September through November is the ideal time of year for replacing a home roof. See the 7 reasons why below.
1. Roofing is best installed on a clear day when the temperature is above 45 to 50 degrees, so Fall has the ideal weather conditions for replacing your roof, especially if if your contractor uses asphalt shingles. This enables the shingles' seal strips to melt and adhere properly. Additionally, your roofer will be able to work better when it's not extremely hot.
2. As the air becomes colder, shingles often become brittle and more challenging to work with. It's recommended that shingles be installed at temperatures of 26 degrees or higher. The colder and more brittle a shingle is, the easier to break when fastening it in place. Therefore, hand nailing has to replace roofing guns, making the job slower and pricier.
3. It's important that the shingles are properly sealed before winter sets in. That way, they will be ready to form an airtight and moisture-resistant barrier against frigid temperatures. What is more, they are less likely to be blown off by strong winter winds. 4. Weather conditions such as summer wind, rain, and even hurricanes take a toll on a house roof, especially when it is approaching the end of its expected lifespan. Have your roof inspected at summer's end -- as well as immediately after a severe storm -- and take care of problems right away.
5. Another reason to take care of roof replacement in the Fall is that once winter storms start up, any existing small holes or leaks will almost inevitably get worse. Add to that the weight of a heavy snowfall or the danger of ice and you've got a recipe for disaster.
6. Having a new roof installed in autumn can also help to save on heating bills and keep your home cozy in winter. If your HVAC system is located in the attic, a new roof will help it operate at peak effectiveness.
Jonas Independent Contracting, LLC, is available to provide a new roof for your home or business as we move into Fall temperatures. Give us a call at 704-956-0221 to get a quote or click here.